Friday, February 14, 2014
My Top 10 Favorite Items From Walton Feed
People are always asking me what my favorite products are from Walton Feed, so here is my list! These are not in any particular order...I love them ALL!
1. Super Nutty Granola and French Almond Granola - Oh my goodness, both of these are delicious! I prefer the Super Nutty, and my children prefer the French Almond. Both are fabulous and we sell a lot of it on this order! Definitely worth trying!
2. Refried Beans - I buy these by the bucket! Last month we thought we had run out of these, and there was an uprising from the children..literally! I bought some canned refried beans from the store to get us by until the next order, and the kids thought they were so disgusting! Thankfully a few weeks later I found a bucket stashed in a closet and the kids chowed down again. All you have to do is add water and bring it to a boil and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. It has the best flavor!
3. Freeze Dried Pineapple - Have you ever tasted this? Yum, yum and yum! You have got to try these! They are amazing. You can rehydrate them and use them in any recipe calling for pineapple, but I like to munch on them right out of the can! They taste just like fresh pineapple, and have no preservatives! It's a healthy snack! I really love the strawberries and peach slices too! AMAZING fresh tasting fruits!
4. Creamy Honey - This is probably the most loved product on this Walton Feed order. I have people call me up and beg for more because they have run out. I have never tasted anything like it. It's the best honey ever....that pretty much sums it up. If you cannot afford to buy a whole case, find someone to split it with you. You will be happy you did!
5. Ova Easy Eggs - These are the best egg product on the market! They are quite expensive, but worth having them in your storage. I actually use these all the time. I use these when I make my famous cinnamon rolls. You can use these in baking or cooking and will not be able to tell the difference from using fresh eggs. I use them in pancakes, muffins, rolls, cakes, cookies, pies, etc. And I have even scrambled them with some bacon bits and put some cheese on them, and my kids gobbled them up in breakfast burritos. Veggie omelets are amazing too! You can use them to make a bacon, egg and cheese biscuits and no one will ever know! No more emergency trips to the store because you need eggs to make something.
6. Freeze Dried Corn - Love, love love this corn! We like to snack on it right out of the can! It's so sweet! With all of the worries over the toxins in canned food (not to mention excessive sodium, etc.), I will not buy canned corn anymore. I love that freeze dried food has no preservatives or additives or even salt. This is just plain CORN! I use this for all of my recipes that have corn in it. Healthy and delicious! PS - freeze dried broccoli is another favorite!
7. White Flour - I'm not sure where they get their flour, but it's the best I have ever baked with. I cannot find anything in the store that compares to it. It is so soft and silky. I have used the All Purpose Flour, the Bakers Flour, and the Unbleached Flour. It's all wonderful!
8. Chicken Bouillon - What I love the most about this chicken bouillon is that it contains no MSG! It is in a fine granular form and it doesn't take much of this to season your recipe. It has a very nice flavor. I use it in so many recipes! You might want to get this in a small can because it will take a very long time to get through a #10 can of this!
9. Bakon Crumbles - I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein), which is a soy product. But I happen to really like Bakon Crumbles. You are probably familiar with "bacos", which is TVP. Bacos are hard and crunchy, but Bakon Crumbles are much softer, more like real bacon. I use them in eggs, soup, as a topper for baked potatoes, salads, etc. One good thing about TVP is that it really is a good alternative to meat because it is much cheaper and can be healthier. I also use the Taco TVP and the Beef TVP, but I usually use them with ground beef.
10. Basmati Brown Rice - I'm not very knowledgeable about different kinds of rice, but I do know that this one tastes wonderful! It's like a sticky rice, which I love - but it is a whole grain rice and is healthier for you. My children will eat Basmati rice happily, where they are not crazy over regular long grain brown rice. This is definitely my favorite whole grain rice!
OK - one more...
11. White Wheat - I can't forget white wheat! I use more of this than anything else I get from Walton Feed. I grind it fresh almost every day and use it when making pancakes, cookies, breads, rolls, muffins, and whatever! White wheat cooks up a little lighter in color, taste and texture than red wheat, and most people will like it, even if they think they are not crazy over whole wheat products.
I have compared Walton Feed's white wheat to white wheat from other companies, and I have found Walton Feed's to be superior. Once I called a company and ordered a sample of their white wheat, and when I got it, I poured it on a paper plate. Then I put some of Walton Feed's wheat on another paper plate. I was shocked at what I saw! The sample I ordered had several pieces of stems, hulls and weed seeds in it. It also had lots of "inferior" wheat kernels - they were small and misformed, and some were even black. I was surprised they had actually sent me such terrible looking wheat as a sample. Walton Feed's wheat was beautiful and clean, and it made me happy since I had MANY buckets of their wheat stored!
So that's my quick list of favorites! What are yours?
PS - We are doing our Spring Group Order from Walton Feed right now. Anyone can join us. Click HERE to read information about the order. Please email me for the price lists. firstname.lastname@example.org